Connect with us

News Broadcasting

BES Expo 2006 concludes; good response from participants

Published

on

New Delhi February 12, 2006: BES Expo 2006, the 12th International Conference & Exhibition on Terrestrial and Satellite Broadcasting, organized by the Broadcast Engineering Society (India) at Hotel Taj Palace, New Delhi, concluded today. The Expo witnessed overwhelming response from delegates, exhibitors, and visitors. This year’s edition of BES Expo registered over 6,000 visitors, which represents a 20 percent growth as compared to the last year. More than 1,000 delegates from India and abroad participated in the exhibition and conference, representing a growth of 25 percent as compared to the last year. A total of 65 companies representing 300 broadcast equipment manufacturers and solution providers from 25 countries across the globe exhibited at BES Expo this year.

The Conference Proceedings for the concluding day were spread over three sessions. The highlight of the first session was Future Satellite Technologies. Mr. A Bhaskarnarayana, Director SCP, ISRO, chaired the session. The speakers included Mr. D Venugopal of ASTS; Mr. Sanjay Jasola of IGNOU; Dr. PC Jain of STMicroelectronics; and Mr. ND Acharya of Infinium.

Elaborating on the techniques for overcoming blockage and multi-path effects for satellite communications and broadcasting in mobile environment, Mr. D Venugopal said, “Recently, there has been a lot of interest in providing satellite broadcast services to cars fitted with omni directional antennae.
As these services are one-way services without return acknowledgement, special techniques need to be used to overcome multi-path fading and short signal blockage due to foliage and buildings.’’

 

The focus of the second session was Digital Radio: Present & Future. The merits of various digital radio broadcast standards vis-?-vis their counterparts have been dwelled upon in this session, presided over by Mr.

Advertisement

Philip Laven, Director (TD), EBU, Geneva. The speakers in this session included Mr. Nick Banks of Radioscape, UK; Mr. Roger Johansson of Factum, Sweden; Mr. Jeff Astle of World DAB, UK; and Mr. Lindsay Cornell of BBC Research, UK. Commenting on the critical factors for planning digital radio rollout by broadcasters, Mr. Jeff Astle said, “The main consumer benefit of DAB is much more choice, as also better sound quality, reception improvements, and ease of use of digital receivers.”

The last session of Conference Proceedings for BES Expo 2006 broached on Content Protection and Broadcast Rights. It was chaired by Mr. KS Sarma, CEO, Prasar Bharati. The major concerns before the broadcast industry remains maintaining integrity of the broadcast content once it is broadcast.

The speakers including Mr. Andy Nobbs of Teletrax, UK; Mr. Philip Laven of EBU, Geneva; Mr. Paul Cheesbrough of BBC, UK; and Mr. R Vardarajan of Silicon Image, USA; provided an insight into the use of Digital Rights Management (DRM) systems to prevent users from copying or redistributing protected content.

 

India has seen phenomenal growth of news channels and FM radio channels, and there still remains potential for further growth. Display of technologies encompassing news automation, satellite broadcasting, and radio broadcasting will help the Indian broadcasters in adopting one that suits them the most. For the first time ever in India, BES Expo 2006 provided a platform for Live Demos on Mobile Broadcasting and Digital Multimedia Broadcasting. The ball has been set rolling for the next year’s edition – BES Expo 2007, which will highlight the theme “Multifaceted Broadcasting”.

Advertisement

Issued for favor of publications, broadcast and telecast.

DK Gupta
Hon. Secretary,
Broadcast Engineering Society

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Broadcasting

Barc forensic audit in TRP row awaits as Twenty-Four probe gathers pace

Published

on

KERALA: A forensic audit commissioned by the Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) India has emerged as the centrepiece of the government’s response to fresh allegations of television rating point manipulation involving a regional news channel in Kerala, with both the audit findings and a parallel police investigation still awaited.

Replying to a query in the Lok Sabha, minister of state for information and broadcasting L Murugan, said Barc had appointed an independent agency to conduct a forensic probe into the conduct of senior personnel allegedly linked to the case.

The move followed media reports claiming that a Barc employee had accepted bribes to manipulate viewership data in favour of a regional television news channel.

“The report from BARC is still awaited,” Murugan told Parliament, signalling that the forensic exercise remains ongoing.

Industry specialists say forensic audits are crucial in alleged TRP fraud cases, as they examine internal controls, data access trails, panel household integrity, staff communications and financial transactions. The outcome could determine whether the alleged manipulation was an isolated breach or a deeper systemic weakness in India’s television measurement framework.

Advertisement

Running alongside the audit, the Kerala Police has formed a special investigation team to probe the allegations. The ministry has sought a preliminary report from the state’s director general of police, including details of action taken on the first information report. That report, too, is yet to be submitted.

The episode has revived long-standing concerns over the vulnerability of India’s TRP system, particularly in regional news markets where competition for ratings is fierce and advertising revenues hinge on weekly viewership rankings.

India’s sole television audience measurement body Barc, has faced scrutiny before, most notably during the nationwide TRP controversy involving news channels in 2020. While tighter compliance norms were introduced in the aftermath, the latest allegations suggest enforcement challenges may persist.

On regulatory consequences, the government said any punitive action against television channels, including suspension or cancellation of uplinking and downlinking permissions, would be governed by the Policy Guidelines for Uplinking and Downlinking of Television Channels issued in November 2022, and would depend on investigation outcomes and due process.

The ministry also pointed to ongoing efforts to overhaul the ratings ecosystem. Television measurement continues to be regulated under the Policy Guidelines for Television Rating Agencies, 2014. Draft amendments were released for public consultation in July 2025, followed by a revised version in November 2025, aimed at tightening audit mechanisms and improving transparency and representativeness.

Advertisement

In November 2025, Barc said it had taken note of allegations aired by Malayalam news channel Twenty-Four, which linked an internal employee to irregularities in audience measurement. The council said it had engaged a “reputed independent agency” to conduct a comprehensive forensic audit, underscoring the seriousness of the claims.

The ratings system sits at the heart of India’s broadcast advertising economy, shaping billions of rupees in annual ad spends. With trust in audience data once again under strain, advertisers, broadcasters and regulators are closely watching the outcome of the investigations.

Barc has urged industry stakeholders and media organisations to exercise restraint while the probe is underway, calling for an end to “unverified or speculatory claims” and reiterating its commitment to integrity and accountability.

Until the forensic audit and police findings are submitted and reviewed, the government said it would refrain from drawing conclusions.

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News Broadcasting

Rajat Sharma defamation row: Delhi court summons Congress leaders Ragini Nayak, Pawan Khera and Jairam Ramesh

Published

on

NEW DELHI: A Delhi court has ordered the summoning of senior Congress leaders Ragini Nayak, Pawan Khera and Jairam Ramesh in a criminal case filed by veteran journalist Rajat Sharma, sharpening a legal battle over alleged defamation and doctored digital content.

The order was passed on Monday by Devanshi Janmeja, judicial magistrate first class at Saket Courts, after the court found prima facie grounds to proceed under multiple sections of the Indian Penal Code, including forgery, creation of false electronic records and defamation.

Sharma, chairman and editor-in-chief of India TV, had approached the court over allegations made in June 2024 that he had used derogatory language against Congress spokesperson Ragini Nayak during a live television debate. He denied the charge, claiming it was fuelled by a manipulated video circulated online.

According to the complaint, a clipped version of the broadcast carrying superimposed captions, which were not part of the original programme, was first shared on social media platform X by Nayak and later amplified through retweets and public statements by Khera and Ramesh. Sharma said the viral spread caused serious reputational harm and personal distress.

The court took note of forensic science laboratory findings that pointed to visible post-production alterations in the video, including added titles and captions. It also cited witness testimonies from those present during the live broadcast, who stated that no abusive or objectionable language had been used.

Advertisement

In a related civil matter, the Delhi High Court had earlier observed a prima facie absence of abusive remarks and directed the removal of the disputed social media posts.

With criminal proceedings now set in motion, the case adds to mounting scrutiny around political messaging, digital manipulation and accountability on social media platforms.

Continue Reading

News Broadcasting

Mukesh Ambani, Larry Fink come together for CNBC-TV18 exclusive

Reliance and BlackRock chiefs map the future of investing as global capital eyes India

Published

on

MUMBAI: India’s capital story takes centre stage today as Mukesh Ambani and Larry Fink sit down for a rare joint television conversation, bringing together two of the most powerful voices in global business at a moment of economic churn and opportunity.

The Reliance Industries chief and the BlackRock boss will speak with Shereen Bhan, managing editor of CNBC-TV18, in an exclusive interaction airing from 3:00 pm on February 4. The timing is deliberate. Geopolitics are tense, technology is disruptive and capital is choosier. India, meanwhile, is pitching itself as a long-term bet.

The pairing is symbolic. Reliance straddles energy transition, digital infrastructure and consumer growth in the world’s fastest-expanding major economy. BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager, oversees more than $14 tn in assets and sits at the nerve centre of global capital flows. When the two talk, markets tend to listen.

Fink’s appearance marks his third India visit, a signal of the country’s rising strategic weight for the Wall Street-listed firm, which carries a market value above $177 bn. His earlier 2023 trips included an October stop in New Delhi, where he met both Ambani and Narendra Modi.

India is now central to BlackRock’s expansion plans, notably through its joint venture with Jio Financial Services. Announced in July 2023, the 50:50 venture, JioBlackRock, commits up to $150 mn each from the partners to build a digital-first asset-management platform aimed at India’s swelling investor class.

Advertisement

The backdrop is robust. BlackRock ended 2025 with record assets under management of $14.04 tn, helped by $698 bn in net inflows, including $342 bn in the fourth quarter alone. Scale gives Fink both heft and a long lens on where money is moving.

He has been openly bullish on India. At the Saudi-US Investment Summit in Riyadh last year, Fink argued that the “fog of global uncertainty is lifting”, with capital returning to dynamic markets such as India, drawn by reforms, demographics and durable return potential.

Expect the conversation to range beyond balance sheets, into technology’s role in finance, access to capital and the mechanics of sustainable growth in a fracturing world order. For investors and policymakers alike, it is a snapshot of how big money is thinking about India.

At a time when capital is cautious and growth is contested, India wants to be the exception. When Ambani and Fink share a stage, it is less a chat and more a signal. The world’s money is still looking for its next big story, and India intends to be it.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement CNN News18
Advertisement whatsapp
Advertisement ALL 3 Media
Advertisement Year Enders

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Indian Television Dot Com PVT LTD